Thursday, January 12, 2012

Follow up with Dr. D and an Official Diagnosis

December 28- I had one of the best visits with my doctor today. Lots of talking and testing. She is amazing! After not being taken seriously for so long, I can't stress how much I appreciate her! Looks like I do indeed have a form of Occipital or Trigeminal Neuralgia or both!). I asked her about what the Optical Neurologist said, about the nerve block not working if I didn't have Occipital Neuralgia. My pain has been increasingly worse since the injection, not better. So what does this mean?! She that that basically I have an angry nerve (Grrrrrrr!).  It didn't "agree" with the type of injection and is now mad and lashing out at me, causing more increased pain. This is I guess another way of knowing that the shot did something proving I do have the disorder. If I didn't have it then the shot would have done absolutely nothing at all.

So I am trying out a new medication starting tomorrow to start relieving my nerve pain and will be slowly weening off my beta-blockers.  She wants to see if my migraines come back off of them or if my pain is primarily nerve related. Nervous but hopeful!  We have a plan of attack! (Hi-Ya!)

I think I am mostly nervous about going off the labetalol. I didn't need it while I was pregnant this last time; guess my hormones fixed my issues. But once I gave birth I had the most crushing migraines that I just couldn't shake. I can *almost say my migraine pain was worse then my c-section pain. The house doctor put me back on the labetalol, I had one more migraine and then I was back to my normal 2/3 daily pain level. Dr. D says that I will be seeing her regularly, so I won't be left in the cold in serious pain if i need it still, or something else better.

Anyone familiar with Carbamazepine? That is the new med she is putting me on. It's an anticonvulsant. Actually now that I think about it, I think it is the same stuff my crazy college roommate took for her epilepsy. FYI, It wasn't her epilepsy that made her crazy, I think she was just crazy naturally... accused me of stealing her stuff, would flip out on me for no reason, oh goodness a whole mess of stuff. But enough about her, yuck. So anyways...

Dr. D wouldn't prescribe me any pain pills right now. She said that if this is indeed all nerve related and that I did have this neurological disorder, then this medication would work as a pain pill, so to say, on the over-reacting nerves in my head. I hope she is right, because my pain level (even on my beta-blockers) has gotten up there again. My daily pain is now closer to a 5/10 and taking 4 Advil many times doesn't even cut it.

Along with my 300 mg of Labetalol, I will start out on 100 mg of Carbamazepine once a day for one week and then jump up to 200 mg twice a day after that. I am then scheduled to see her again in two weeks to discuss my pain levels, how the new stuff is treating me and then to work out a schedule for going off the Labetalol. She says that the Carbamazepine is a low does, so not to be surprised if I need to increase the dosage until we get things just right. She really wants me to be a "one pill girl" and not need to take all sorts of things to feel "normal". Oh goodness I hope she can do it!  We shall see.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting