Sunday, January 22, 2012

one poke vs. another

I was talking to one of the girls in my support group and after listening to her recent treatment I think Dr. D actually wanted me to get a supraorbital injection, because that is what she was explaining to me in her office and why she was sending me out to the optical neurologist. Dr. D said these are right above the eyebrow and hit the trigger points there.  Well the optical neurologist gave me a nerve block instead in the back of my head instead. I wonder how different the two of them actually are? Hmmmmm.  The girl from the support group said that the nerve blocks never really did much for her, but the supraorbital injection hurt like hell getting it, but she felt a lot more relief since most of her pain is located directly behind her eye.  That is where my pain always was, that is until my new meds.  Now the eye pain is almost 100% gone, but now I have a lot of back of the head pain still....  guess I don't need it now, but a little annoyed that I got the wrong treatment to begin with and that the stupid nerve block gave me so much "angry" nerve pain.  I am wondering if that means I could never get another nerve block using a different medicine or if there is something else that could be used back there.  I had good luck with lanacine in my neck.  I wonder if she could use that? Hmmmmmm.  Stuff to think about and to bring up to Dr. D at my next appointment.

And you know what, that neur never gave me any anesthetic in the nerve block at all.  Just the steroid. From what I read this is very, very uncommon.  Many injection treatments begin with anesthetic and if that works then they try the steroid at the follow up nerve block.  And almost all nerve blocks include BOTH the steroid and the anesthetic.  No one I have spoken with that has had this treatment had it like me.  Sounds like he didn't follow protocol for this particular treatment.  Jerk.  Thanks a lot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting